Inca Trail to Machu Picchu # 2
Cuzco – Mollepata - Salcantay - Santa Teresa - Machupicchu - Cusco
5 days / 4 nights
Looking for the classic inca trail? CLICK HERE
This is an alternative route to the classic Inca Trail to Machupicchu, which will take you through amazing landscape and natural beauty with exotic flora and fauna endemic of the region. The trek will involve crossing valleys and mountains before arriving to the "Lost City of the Incas", Machupicchu.
- Altitude: 1950 - 4600m. / 6398 - 15092 f.
- High Season: April - November
- Duration: 5 days / 4 nights
- Level of Difficulty: Moderate
- Route: Closed in February *A minimum of 2 persons is needed for this trek
1st Day: Cusco - Mollepata (Marcoccasa) - Soraypampa
We will leave Cusco at 5:30 am and head towards Marcoccasa (3400m/11154f), passing the village Mollepata (3000m/9843f). In Marcoccasa we will meet the horsemen and the rest of the group and start our trek. We start hiking within a magnificent valley, surrounded by the most important snow-capped mountains such as the Humantay (5217m/17116f) and the Salkantay (6264m/20551f). Our campsite will be at Soraypampa (3700m/12139f).
- Climate: cold
- Transport time: 4 hours
- Hiking time: 6 hours
2nd Day: Sorayapampa – Salkantay pass - Challway
After breakfast, we will set off towards the Salkantay Pass (4600m/15092f) which offers an exceptional view of the snow-capped Salkantay (6264m). Thereafter, we will descend again and will have time to enjoy the increasing vegetation of the ecosystem. Our camp site will be in Challway (3000m/9842f), amidst the tropical forest with warm climate and mosquitoes.
- Hiking time: 8-9 hours
3rd Day: Challway – Wiñaypoco – La Playa
The third day is dedicated to the region’s flora and its plantations. After descending to a dimmed forest and enjoying the diversity of species of orchids, bromelains and many other plants, we will see coffee-, cacao- and fruit-plantations. Moreover, we will have the pleasure to meet local families of Wiñaypoco (2650m/8694f) and La Playa (2100m/6890f). Our camping site will be in La Playa. Climate: warm during the day with insects
- Hiking time: 6 hours
- Note: According to the group’s wishes, it is possible to change the itinerary a bit and visit the hot springs in Santa Teresa (1830m/6004f) this day.
4th Day: La Playa – Llactapata – Aguas Calientes Town
Early in the morning, our trail leads us to the archeological complex of Llactapata (2650m/8694f) located amidst an eclectic array of vegetation. From here, we will have a beautiful view of the mountain Machu Picchu. Afterwards, we will continue down to the hydroelectric station (1950m/6398f). Here we will take the train towards Aguas Calientes (2050m/6726f), where we will spend the night in a hotel.
- Climate: warm with some insects
- Hiking time: 6 hours
5th Day: Aguas Calientes – Machu Picchu – Cusco
We will leave our hotel after breakfast at 5:30 am and head for Machu Picchu (2400m/7874f) by tourist bus. We will arrive at the citadel around 6:00 am. After a guided tour around the archeological site, including information about life and culture of the Incas, you will have enough time to enjoy Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu (2750m/9022f) on your own. We will leave Aguas Calientes by train either at 2:55 pm or at 6:45 pm. Until then, you will have time to have lunch in one of the nice restaurants. Moreover, you can visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes to relax a bit.
- Hiking time: 02 hours
End of our Services
What do you need to bring?
Backpack with rain shelter, sleeping back, clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket,rain pants and lightweight pants, trekking shoes, slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs), woolen or synthetic socks, a sweater, long- and short-sleeved polo’s/t-shirts, a rain poncho, a hat, bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes), sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper, camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries, some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit, original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
Price per person based in group service sharing a double tent.
- Standard: $ 389.00 per person, with standard return to cusco
- Expedition $ 439.00 per person, with Expedition train to cusco
- Vistadome: $.459.00 per person, with vistadome train to cusco
Lima - Cusco - Lima to be quoted on the day of enquiry (prices vary from US$200 to US$300 per person depending on the season)
what is included in golden destination's incredible prices?
- All pick-ups and transfers and tours as indicated in group service with English speaking guides.
- Private transport from your hotel in Cusco to Mollepata
- Transport from La Playa to the hydroelectric station (just for the equipment and everyone’s bags)
- Tourist Train from the hydroelectric station to Aguas Calientes
- Tourist Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco or tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco
- 2 Star Hotel with Private Room and Bathroom in Aguas Calientes town (Machupicchu, Continental or similar)
- Entrance to the National park of Salkantay & Machu Picchu
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- High quality camping equipment (Professional tent, Doite Cima 4, for 2 persons) Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
- Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and tea time/Optional vegetarian)
- Cook and assistant
- Horseman and mules for up to 8kg of a customer's personal equipment (1)
- Emergency horse
- First-aid kit and oxygen bottle
what is not included in golden destination's incredible prices?
- International air tickets to Peru and airport taxes (US$32 per person)
- Breakfast on the first day and last lunch in Aguas Calientes
- Sleeping bag (if you don’t have a sleeping bag there is the possibility of renting one)
- Bus going downhill from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes where the train station is situated.
- Meals not indicated.
- Domestic flights
- Additional expenses such as telephone bills, laundry, etc.
- Personal Travel Insurance.
Details of your trip to Peru:
- If you go to high altitudes you may suffer "Soroche" (altitude sickness), bring diamox or ask your doctor for advice, just in case.(See more details).
- Checked-in luggage weight limit on domestic flights is 20 kg (44.09 lb). The fee for excess luggage is US$1.8 per kilo.
- Carry-on luggage for domestic flights cannot exceed 8 kg (17.64 lb).
- Insurance against theft, loss, illness and/or accident.
- In addition to your carry-on, you can bring with you a personal item such as a purse, a lap top, a video camera or a diaper bag (when traveling with an infant).
- The rate for tips is at your discretion.
- The exchange rate is about 2.50 soles per dollar.
- Airport taxes for international flights are $30.25, payable at the airport.
- We will assist you in every step of your trip, so please feel free to call us at any time, day or night, if necessary.
- We reserve the right to make changes in the schedule of the trip without prior notice, due to changes in climate conditions, river water levels, flight or bus arrival and departure times or any other unforeseeable reason that may develop, in order to make the best of the trip.
- We would be pleased to arrange additional free days to your tour, if you so desire, in order to give you more time to explore things, or places that may be of particular interest to you
- (1) From the first to the third day (from Marcocasa to La Playa) we are accompanied by horsemen and mules that will carry all camping equipment and the customer’s private luggage (up to 6 kg). On the fourth day all luggage will be transferred to the hydroelectric station by car.
- (2) Visit to Huayna Picchu: For Huayna Picchu mountain requires to be booked long time in advance however we charge additional $ 19.00 USD and then we’ll guarantee your entrance for Huayna Picchu as well (This new State law began since the 18th of July, 2011).
- (3) Tips for porters, cooks and guides are always welcome. The porters are also very grateful for a small donation, for example clothes or school equipment for their children.
Conditions & Terms:
- Please note that the program deposit is non-refundable. The deposit is used to purchase the ticket entrance to the Inca Trail, Machu Picchu and also the entrance for the porters (they will carry just camping equipment and the food for the trek), and once a space is purchased it cannot be resold.
- Golden Destinations will not give any refunds if a participant decides to cancel the trip prior to departure or during the trip (except from the entrances to the archaeological sites and the bus/train tickets)
- If Golden Destinations doesn’t confirm the reservation, your payment will be refunded totally.
- All participants have to carry their own back packs, including sleeping bag and mattresses unless they booked an extra porter or the service includes porters, horsemen or mules.
- A participant must declare if he/she has any sickness or medical disorder and must bring his/her own medicines.
- All participants must bring their original passport and, if available, their original student card ´ISIC´.
- It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accident, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. Golden Destinations cannot be accounted for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her own.
- In case force majeure occurs, like impossibility to operate the program or trek due to unusual or unforeseen circumstances outside Golden Destinations' control like: extreme weather conditions, landslides, strikes not allowing operation or putting it at risk, sudden inaccessibility of route, etc. Golden Destinations will propose viable solutions to operate the program within the available dates, or if impossible, will then propose an alternative program. If the alternative program chosen by the client is of lower value than that originally booked then the client is entitled to a refund of the price difference. All costs derived will be at the expense of the client. In case none of these would be feasible, Golden Destinations would refund all the money paid except all the incurred expenses so far. General information and recommendations
- Reservation: Since the number of trekking permits is limited to 500 per day (about 200 tourists and 300 trekking staff) it is important to book well in advance - especially in the high season between May and September. In the low season between December and January, it is possible to get a ticket about 20 days in advance.
- Passport details: Please make sure that your passport is valid for the time you intend doing the Inca Trail. Furthermore, assure that the passport’s details you send us via email, such as the passport’s number, your name etc., are correct. Changes on short notice will complicate the entrance to Machu Picchu.
- Travel Insurance: It is compulsory that all clients have personal travel insurance. This insurance must cover personal accident, medical expenses, loss of effects and all other expenses which might arise as a result of loss, damage or injury occurring to the client. Golden Destinations cannot be accounted for any accident or loss of personal belongings the customer caused by his/her own actions.
- Porters: The Porters will only carry general camping equipment. Backpacks, sleeping bags, mattresses and additional equipment must be carried by the customer. However, if you wish to have a personal porter, this can be arranged. Please let us know in your reservation. Tips for the porters are always welcome.
- Camping sites: The camping sites on the journey to Machu Picchu can vary from those described in our brochure. This is because some camping sites are already booked out, depending how far in advance a client books. In this case, the INC (Instituto Nacional de Cultura), supervising all agencies that offer the Inca Trail, will assign a camping site.
- Return ticket: We will leave Aguas Calientes by train either at 2:55 pm or at 6:45 pm. This depends on the ticket availability and on how far in advance you booked your trip. During the afternoon, you will have time to have lunch in one of the nice restaurants in Aguas Calientes. Moreover, you can visit the hot springs to relax a bit. You will be back in your hotel either at about 6:00 pm or at about 10:00 pm.
- Your health: It is a common misconception that because many people do the Inca Trail it must be easy. It is not. The trail is 45km (26 miles) long and involves great physical exertion to complete. Combined with high altitude and extreme weather the trek can be hard work. Therefore, we strongly recommend ensuring that you are well acclimatized, in good shape and healthy. Hence, you will enjoy your trip from the beginning on. o A participant must declare if he/she has any sickness or medical disorder and must bring his/her own medicines.